Samstag, 15. Februar 2014

converge - axe to fall

this is the latest converge record i added to my collection. i ordered it, along with the 'jane doe' re-press, from per koro. i missed it several times. for the first time on ebay where i got outbid on a coke bottle clear copy and for the second time on discogs. it was a solid baby blue copy and i put it in my cart. i didn't check it out immediately and left it there for some days. don't really know why. probably because it wasn't high priority.
after some time discogs informed me that the item in my cart wasn't available anymore. that's what you get for waiting too long. but as i got the e-mail from deathwish with news of a 'jane doe' re-press plus a new pressing of 'axe to fall', i didn't hesitate to order it straight away from my favourite german distro. i have got to admit that of all converge albums i know so far, 'axe to fall' grabs me the least.
i can't quite put my finger on it. i mean, this is unmistakably converge but somehow the majority of the material fails to excite me like the other records did. sure there are real crackers on it like the title song, 'worms will feed, rats will feast' or 'wretched world' (great last song) but the rest falls a bit short for me. the presentation however looks simply great again! the iconic j. bannon style in another facet. re-press comes on white vinyl. maybe 1000 made? anyone a clue? deathwish inc. 2009/2013.