Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2018

blind guardian - a night at the opera

an impulse buy - this is why i call this album by blind guardian my own now. i am not really familiar with this band, to be honest. one of my best buddies likes them quite a lot, he's got a lovely clear lime green copy of "a twist in the myth" which we used to listen to quite often and we saw them playing wacken festival in 2017, i believe. so these were my points of contact with this german heavy metal powerhouse.
i wasn't aware of the fact that the band is around for almost thirty five years. little did i know that blind guardian is with over two and a half million sold records one of the most succesful german bands in metal. so obviously all these aspects didn't suck me into buying this re-press. it was actually the somewhat cool cover art and the vague feeling that this was up my alley that made me open my wallet.
i wasn't let down for sure. musically the guardian is a force of nature. wow, their songs are blasting out of the speakers. that rolling double bass and the heavy riffing pushes one against the wall, while their epic melodies lifts one up again. utterly intense, a great record this is. "a night at the opera" was actually released in 2002 by virgin records and is now re-issued by nuclear blast with revised artwork for the back cover and out of 500 copies. 2018.